PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Widow criticises medical screening of pilots
Old 1st Dec 2010, 18:27
Landflap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite right Robin. Why the hell are we doing it. The medical profession are completely incapable of predicting our demise. Bunch of Quacks. Self perpetuating, self interested, incapable idiots. Look, a mate of mine ws subjected to "enhanced medical tests" in order to succeed in gaining a "Over age 60" contract from Gulfair, He passed. A week later, he was in intensive care with double kidney failure!He died a short time later. Another mate, was diagnosed with Diabetis type 2. Placed on extreme doseage he started pissing blood, suffered exteme kidney pain, and palpatations. He threw the medication down the toilet and has never felt fitter. I started my careeer in aviation in the Crew Records Dept of a major Airline. I caused mayhem when rebooking all medicals at the CME ! Guys called in stating that they had a "friendly " quack who offered a glass of Sherry, quick cough & bollock test & away we go !! Another job I had was as a Medical Rep for a major pharmaceutical company (sorry, no spell check.it looks right), I wa authorised to spend loadsa dosh on inducing, er "doctors" to sign up, only, to our products. Of course they did. I won a major bonus for paying one GP his annual subscription to a famous Northern golf club. So, boys & galls, no respect. Even me, I was anorexic. Went from 11 stone to 8 stone six. After a warning from my , er, "Doctor", i gained to 9st 7. At my annual medical, I was told by the quack to watch out, as I was gaining weight !! We are stuck with it ! Finally, when renewing my Dutch Licence, some years ago, the Head of the Medical Board, looking like an Aids Victim, puffing on his 90th untipped woodbine, remarked on my pearshape and rapidly developing manboobs. I told him I was there for Medical renewal & not insults. He stamped my approval & I have not stopped flying since. I am a fat bastard, exceed these stupid bodymass index criteria, shag endlessley, drink until I fall over or get badly hit in a drunken bar brawl but, gees, I ove aviation, but hate the quacks with a vengeance !