PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach ban - single pilot IFR ops.
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2010, 11:37
G-SPOTs Lost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You really dont know when to stop digging do you

Im epic equipped and have been using electronic charting for 4 years, I subscribe to INDS not jeppesen I get sent the jepp packet that you get with the two discs and I also get INDS data downloaded onto a CD that goes to the FMS's

I also receive paper because as yet having the built in charting function does not simply satisfy your legal requirements, as alluded to above and ignored theres a lot of work to do before coming up with a workable efb solution and that doesnt mean firing up your laptop on the passenger seat when your primary system doesnt work.

I fly a mid size bizjet and doing jepp updates is just part of life, I quite like being in the loop when changes appear on plates that you visit regularly. I can do a big jeppy in about 3 hours my FO 2/3rds that....its no biggy every fortnight.

You may scoff at paper but you can read them in any light, dont need charging, dont take up panel space and (again) dont need charging. I'm guessing you're one of these chaps that fly along with the coaming looking like the gadget show (which privately I find very entertaining), thats fine but space is at a premium in a bizjet cockpit ....panel space more so.

Its been around a while has paper - EFB's have some way to go to mature and the OEM's need to start making provisions for them in much the same way that they do with HF and media installations

You need to realise that Paper is the norm, EFB's are the exception in the vast majority of cases and simply because you can doesnt mean you should in aviation