PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2010, 11:00
cazatou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airborne Aircrew

You may well "live near a Chinook Base" but you seem to have little, if any, idea of how the noise signatures of such aircraft are affected by terrain.

You have cast aspersions in respect of the evidence of Mr Ellacott, yet he was on high rocky ground with the Chinook hundreds of feet below his Elevation and with millions of tons of rock between them. In such circumstances the noise of the Chinook would be absorbed or deflected and Mr Ellacott was only made aware of the Chinook once it had reached an altitude where the sound waves were not absorbed or deflected; hence his statement "I heard the sound of a propellor going around for about four or five seconds and then I heard an explosion."

The aircraft was erect, rolled slightly left and pitched approximately 30 degrees nose-up and with a groundspeed of approx 150 kts when it impacted at a height of 810 ft AMSL - [B]still 594 ft below the summit of Beinn na Lice[/B ]. This was consistent with an attempted escape manoeuvre.

150 kts equates to 253 ft/sec and Mr Ellacott stated " Visibility at this time was 9ft or 10 ft maximum" ---- it was difficult to say how far I was from the point of the explosion, but I don't think I could have been more than 100 yards."