PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Airlines B747 Crash (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2002, 03:54
whauet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I am still here quietly thinking and reading through the mountain of data available from several different sources when I have the time, there are a couple of interim questions I want to pose.

First, what is your opinion on the destruction of UTA 772? I do feel it is appropriate to ask this question as you use other aircraft types and incidents to support your belief of ongoing cargo door problems. On your website you do reference other cargo door incidents on a variety of other aircraft types from the 747, to the DC-10, the DC-9 and the DC-8. UTA 772 is the in-flight destruction of a large aircraft from an explosive force coming from the baggage hold, so, in my opinion, does have more than passing relevance to the greater issue.

Second, in your reply to my earlier post you state:

A center tank explosion as the initial event would give bilateral damage, not the actual unilateral damage shown by the evidence.
Again, having limited knowledge of physics, I ask the general group if this is indeed so. Say the ignition source was near a corner of the center fuel tank - am I incorrect in thinking that the primary damage would be closer to the ignition source and not uniform? If you have a pool of gasoline - throw a match in the center of that pool and you will have a uniform expansion of the flame, the edges of that pool igniting at essentially the same time. Throw a match near the edge of that pool and you will get a much different pattern of ignition... (Feel free to point and laugh if I'm missing a big point here)..

William