PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Training and Relationships
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2010, 09:07
CAT3C AUTOLAND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

SkyHighSonar,

I dont post much on PPRUNE these days, however, I actually found your post a breath of fresh air. I like your attitude regarding your passion and motivation to become a professional pilot, despite the negativity that is projected through this website sometimes.

I dont want to duplicate what is always written here, but to put my own slant on your question, you have to talk to you partner about this. I got together with my GF 11 years ago, just as I was on a saving mission to fund my training and was quite clear about my goals with my career, to which she was fully supportive. I stayed away for 6 months doing to ATPL's, which in some ways was good for our relationship. It made seeing each other extra special. We have never been a couple to live in each others pockets, so maybe that helped us get through being apart for long periods of time. I was lucky enough to do my CPL/IR and FIC close to where we live so I didnt have to move away for that.

Now, with regard to the job, as piltdown man says, being away, working odd hours and changing rosters can be tricky if you have a demanding partner! As long as you both understand the above it shouldnt be a problem, however, you never know until you try it, but you have to have your eyes open with repsect to what you are getting yourself into.

I have been flying professionally for 5 years now, and I know the industry is constantly changing, however, I would recommend the job to anybody, especially if you have that magical passion for aviation. I have never looked back, and love the job, even when crewing change my cheeky 2 sector finish at 10:30am, to a night Moscow .

All the best with what you decide, go for it sir .