PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Challenger 850
Thread: Challenger 850
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2010, 05:50
Welle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stand to be corrected

good morning GF,

i stand to be corrected: i had the same discussion about deicing some time ago with a good friend flying on the old A300 steam boat and he showed me a copy of the AFM stating that the A300 was allowed for take off with a certain amount of contamination/frost on the UPPER side of the wing. I will search my computer, if i can find this doc somewhere (maybe some A300 driver can correct me)

however, i off course agree with all of you: proper de-iced wings are a must in aviation - i did so all my career, and I will continue to do so.

regarding chally accidents:
yes, you are correct, and I did not state anything opposite, did I? I just wrote, that selecting W and C on, is not enough - you need to properly deice the wing before take off - I just did not want to write harsh words against dead pilots.

regarding wings in generall:ī
you are right, the dhc8 is not allowed to take off with contaminated wings, but I did not state this, did I?? I just wrote that "the dhc8 can carry an awful load of contamination" - I did NOT say that it can take off with an awful load of contamination.
Wasnīt there a boot failure with a dhc8 in the US some years ago, when authorities measured ca 1ton of ice on the wings after landing??

I do fly this wing now for more than 10 years, did 100s of deicings on it and will continue to do so - and i still call it a critical wing: in my humble opinion this wing will not regret pilotīs mistakes on the ground as another wing-design would do - regardless if an authority/manufactures approves operations or not. (unfortunately those hull losses are the evidence)

rgds
welle