PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Police helicopter budget cuts
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2010, 22:37
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Props stopped;

There is a lot in your last post I could comment on, however, the second to last line says it all.

You might have done single crew blah blah blah and found it no problem, but what did the observer think? Besides, some of us end up with a shedful of various jobs in one sector, including city foot chases, city pursuits and take my word for it, it's a bit of a handful even just to keep the camera on the vehicle, let alone the commentary etc!

Why do you think garden searches are so simple?
What happens when they run?
It's ok for you to sit there circling, but PC Keepingyouhappy, is trying to keep the offender on the camera wishing he knew which road he was running down, what junction is next, which officer is which, where is the dog man and what is his callsign etc.

I think you confuse the Double Crew Myth with the American System Myth;
They may well operate single crewed, I don't know for certain but what I do know though, is that on all of the TV programmes using their footage, I cannot hear a word of commentary or tactical advice to the officers on the ground.
It seems to me that if you want a system similar to the one it appears they use in America, give Mike Smith a ring and use G-PIXX.

I'm just a driver like yourself, however it seems we differ somewhat in that I appreciate the workload of the observers that I work, rest and play with.