PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could this happen: a non-pilot landing a heavy jet ??
Old 24th Aug 2002, 00:19
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I were in steerage and the purser asked 'did anyone not have the fish?', I would put my hand up. On getting up front assuming a/c in the cruise and stable, first thing I would do is look for the operating manuals to find where the radios are located. Then broadcast a mayday on whatever frequency was selected. Assuming its an ATC one the next thing would be to find another pilot on the same type to talk to on that frequency. If it were a company/ops frequency I would initially use that as a relay station. I would not want to try anything in manual at this stage, if the plane can do the work then let it. Assuming again that assistance will allow the a/c to be set up for an autoland thats what I would do, also asking for directions to the nearest airport with the longest runway. If the longer runway was further than the nearest runway I would go to the longer, weather and fuel permitting. I'm confident I could get the aircraft on the ground, on the airport, near the runway, again assuming everything was serviceable. I have had the opportunity to fly a real 737/75-76/ and Bae146 sim and know how hard it can be to hand fly a big a/c, particularly trying to correct an over correction, if you follow. I could get it there but the end might not be pretty