PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 30th Nov 2010, 14:50
bearfoil

barit1

Isn't the Fan in the 72 more like 30 tonnes at Maximum? I kind of think we are saying the same things relative to the Fan's Pull. The LPT (including the intense pressure on all the parts, as you describe) is forced "Aft" by this Pressure, itself a product of the LP area spinning up the Fan? Someone had stated before (incorrectly, I believe) that the system would have no net energy if the LP pulled back while the Fan pulled forward. Yet this is exactly the process that propels the a/c forward, to include gas efflux that has escaped the LP out the back. I take your point relative to the very light loads on the LP TB. It is the vanes of the LP Turbine that convert the gas Pressure to (Fan) motive Power. This motive Power begins at the intake of the LP, is enhanced by the IP compressors, and ignites in the HP cavity.

For me, I see the Power as a dynamic system, that in its most simple description involves seeing the forward motion as a reaction against the gases moving aft. I may be missing some details, but is this concept suitable? The Fan is resisted by the force on the LP, "nothing" more, which force "begins" at the intake, and gains power as it moves through and out the back. Everything that propels this a/c exits out the "back", whether it be hot gas, or cold "bypass". Is this correct? I have explained the Fan system to my young son as me holding a rope whilst sat in a chair, the Fan is the "opponent" pulling on me/chair, but has purchase on the floor, I do not.

Thx for your patience and knowledge here

bearfoil

To add: As the aft portion of the LP system is connected to the Forward through a rigid coupling, (Splines, etc.) and there is that hot gas signature on the aft section forward on the Shaft, my imagination places the sooty bit under the TB that may have failed. Other rings on the aft LP Shaft may coincide with positioning under Hot parts of the IP Shaft? I see the IPT as a dynamic Flow check valve, containing the massive Pressure in the IPT/LPT cavity. The failure of the Intermediate Wheel is an open topic. If fire happened at the TB area, and the TB's were damaged, the aft migration of the IPT may have caused the damage to the LPT, and the disintegration of the IT. The Carbon deposit has a well defined border at its aft limit, that is a stumper. Just musing, don't mind me.

bearfoil

Last edited by bearfoil; 30th Nov 2010 at 15:18.