PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sportcruiser - Opinions?
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2010, 09:41
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Say again s l o w l y
Oh dear, it seems as if the CAA aren't fans of the Pipersport...

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4_836.pdf

Multiply the book figures for TODR by 3 and Landing run by 6... Ouch.
I don't think it's any great secret that most of UK CAA thinks that EASA has taken complete leave of its senses in some of its recent approvals - especially, but not exclusively, over LSA aircraft.

I have sympathies on both sides, but have no doubt that of the two organisations, CAA is by far the most competent. They are certainly not out of order in saying that if aircraft can be used for instruction then they should be certified to at-least the standard of a type-approved microlight, and probably any other CofA light aeroplane - the USA LSA standard is arguably LOWER than that used currently in the UK for homebuilts, or for factory built microlights. Specifically there is not necessarily a requirement for positive pitch stability throughout the envelope, and there is no independent oversight of the approvals.

That said, in this case, these large round safety factors sound very much like somebody is basically challenging CZAW and EASA to sort their act out and publish some proper figures justified by flight test - which I suspect will be maybe 40% over book figures, not 300%.

G