PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Excess Aircrew
Thread: Excess Aircrew
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2010, 08:38
orgASMic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My suspicion is that pilots of now-defunct fleets will be recycled onto other fleets and that the spare WSOs/WSOps will be filtered into ops jobs vice Flt Ops personnel. The Flt Ops lot appear to be on a very sticky wicket at the moment and could disappear as quickly as they were created if they are not careful.

Yes, financially, it is a tricky circle to square but, taking the long view, one could argue that a WSO with 10 years to push is worth keeping on in place of a Flt Ops officer who has already qualified for his pension.

I am sure, when the redundancy details are published, we will see that any short-timers will be first to go on the basis that they will get a smaller redundancy payment and they were going to get their pension/gratuity soon anyway.

Ultimately, only the individual can decide if it is the right thing to stay in and cross fingers or to take the money and chance it on the outside. IMHO the spare aircrew may get a better deal out of it than the rest of us. The RAF is not paying me to get my civil Qs as an incentive to stay in for a few more years.