PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guys and Girls, a widow needs your help
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2010, 05:47
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Just A Legal Query

I apologise without reservation if my comments appear offensive: they are not intended to be but are to clarify the position.

In some regiments, there is the rank of: Lance Sergeant. This rank is somewhere between a corporal and a 'real' sgt (an expert will explain better than I). The Guards have this rank and soldiers who are full sgts are called 'gold sgts' when on parade because their three stripes are in gold and a lance sgts are in white (I think).

If Sgt Telford was a lance sgt, was his paid rank corporal or sergeant? This fine point might have some bearing on what his widow is paid by way of pension. I realise that there may be an 'injustice' if he was doing the job of a full sgt (as these jobs in the front line don't necessarily rely on some 'establishment') but it might have influenced the decision on widows pension.

How many MPs have taken up/been asked to take up this matter with Liam Fox. Pressure on the MOD after a soldier was killed in Sierra Lione, got pensins paid for longterm partners iirc.

I'm 'signing' by the way.

O-D