PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quit Aviation Now. There are No Jobs
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2010, 02:53
whissper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you know any employers who are actually looking for apprentices? Don't really mind if is mechanical or avionics (would prefer avionics) but it must exist as a job.

I would be quite happily willing to move but I do not know where the jobs are. I see little value in driving around the country trying to find an apprenticeship as I don't know where to find the employers. The CASA website is broken searching for maintenance organisations. I have found the yellowpages useless as most don't really advertise. Searching the web has been useless as many don't have a web presence except maybe an email address. The Australian newspaper occasionally has a advert for an apprentice and I do make application but that is as far it goes. ALAEA doesn't really have an apprentice listing. Aviation recruitment agents don't really advertise apprenticeships as there is no money in them. Most apprenticeships seem to come from word of mouth and if you are not in the loop then you will not know. I am to a large degree dependent on my "friendly" school but they are trying to wash their hands of me.

A problem with this industry is that if you don't fit the mould you are not wanted. You can be the brightest, hardest working person but if you are not regarded as being the right stuff then employment will be impossible. Those of use who have a very different background are viewed with a degree of suspicion and put in the reject pile.