PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 29th Nov 2010, 20:06
JFZ90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am highly entertained by the discussion on axial forces on the three-rotor system of the Trent.

Having done the analysis a time or two on various engines, let me state some basic truths:

1) the compressor (or fan) rotor is always pulling forward.

2) the turbine rotor is always pulling aft.

3) there is no way one can tell, by inspection, which of these two forces is the greater. It's analogous to two teams of elephants in a tug-of-war.

In fact, the net load on the thrust bearing may be forward at one operating condition, and aft at some other condition. If such a crossover occurs, it's less than desirable; it causes chatter in the lightly-loaded thrust bearing. Designers will make every effort to move the crossover to some sub-idle point.
Yes, technically fair points, but you are adding fuel to the confusion by suggesting aft thrusts are relevant in anything other than some start up conditions. As soon as the fan starts producing any tangible thrust the forces are pulling forward - as you state this usually starts before the engine has even attained idle speed.

In this respect I think your 3rd point, which could be read to suggest that in e.g. various flight conditions the fan may not produce a forward thrust on the LP shaft, could be somewhat misleading for some readers.