PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding. Your thoughts/stories etc......
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2002, 19:48
Saab Dastard

BRL,

I started flying gliders before powered and it was great.

Yes, there was a lot of standing around, working the launch point & radio, logkeeping, retrieving, pulling cables, helping on the winch etc. which really meant that I had to spend a whole day on the field to get in a couple or three flights. (That's the difference - gliding is a real team effort, power flight you can go it alone).

But the feeling in the air was worth it.

Agree with everything that has been said about the sensations on the winch - S***, was I scared the first time! But after a short time you love it - really. It is one hell of a buzz! Just watch out for the negative G at the top when they pull the bung! As soon as I started flying the launches I stopped noticing it!

Best thing about gliding? Wave. Scratching around a ridge, picking up a thermal that no-one else can find and climbing into wave. Trim, take your hands and feet off and enjoy (OK, don't close your eyes!)

Flicking the edges of cumuli with your wingtip, just 'cos you can!

Oh yes, and helping at the launch point when attractive females come along for a trial flight and need to be strapped in - especially if they are wearing a skirt

Enjoy

SD