PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MORE GOING BUST
Thread: MORE GOING BUST
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2001, 04:43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this looks like a fun debate, here goes.

one of the reasons we have JAR-OPS is that AOPA contacted belgium and requested it because they thought it would be a good idea!! yes, we all know now - strange though, that it is AOPA campaigning for the national licence?!!!

the reasons for a decline in PPL's:

1. loss of the NVQ - we all know it was abused - figures i saw showed 4 people completing and receiving their NVQ. out of the millions it must of cost it is not surprising that we lost it.

2. JAR - utter confusion and the rules and goal posts moving every time you spoke to the beloved CAA.

3. the weather - nearly 2 years of pants weather doesn't help - less flying = less money for the schools and even worce means the student doing more hours = more money.

to be totally fare many prospective students would not know about the NVQ going or the impacts of JAR.

i think we are stil missing the point though when we keep talking about how bad it is getting. something needs to be done to make the sport cheaper, such as no tax on training like many of our european buddies.

i dont know here the figure of £4500.00 came from to obtaining a PPL but these days you are looking at more £6000-8000.

at the current costs having a PPL is more of a chore now and much less fun - i only hope the National licence fills the void!!