PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indifferent partner
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2010, 10:29
proplover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG so much of this seems soooooo familier.

Was into competition motor cycling when met wife to be, there was mild interest shown but being somewhat cynical these days I believe it was more my bank balance that held her main interest.

Due to failing down the stairs (slipped on something she'd left on them!) I sustained a back injury which ended the m/c stuff. Shortly after that met up with local PPL guys and having always had had an interest in aviation, to cut a long story I went and completed my PPL. During the learning phase there was very little interest shown and all I got was a "thats nice" when my licence dropped through the letter box.

Since then interest has been zero, she hasnt even been up to see my aircraft which is all of 15mins away. Ive tried the quite chat, what her concerns are etc etc all to no avail. However its a different story re her interest which involves horses. If 100% attention isnt paid to hearing about every hoof problem, jump, fall and latest horsey rumour all hell is let loose!! Our 2 daughters are also involved with them and I love to go an see them all riding and I try to help out at the stables when I can - love seeing them enjoying their hobby. Interesting thing is that they cost more than my flying (apparently they have to all have a spare horse as well) and need daily maintainece!

My wife used to be happy doing commercial flights to holiday destinations but that changed after a trip back from Tunisa on a UK airline when they just announced mid journey that there was "an issue with the plane" and that we were going into Gatwick. We flew back at low level so I presumed there was a pressurisation problem although we we never told and after a hairy landing (with attendant fire engines) the crew up and left us on the tarmac for 2hrs! The event freaked her out and I have every sympathy. She has announced that she hates flying, when Im at airshows for weekends she wont contact me, never asks how it was - basically if it was flying related I was blanked! Our relationship reached a point when on one occasion I returned happily home to be greeted with " I thought flying was dangerous but you keep comming back!" Had the impression she wasnt joking.

O how things have changed recently, met a female who is learning to fly so to help her with her map reading I took her for a few flights and then to an airshow or two. To my delight she loved the airshows and asks if she can go to more. My wife has now become VERY interested as to my flying to the point where its now 1001 questions on every trip out. Not sure what was worse, no interest or the inquisition on every flight!