PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self Merged: Defence Review, Korea and Wiki Leaks
Old 29th Nov 2010, 10:03
BEagle

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts
Thread drift, cazatou, but it was indeed well-known for many an Ascoteers' 'kerching' holiday to kick in when spare bits for ageing jets were sent by less-than-efficient means...

Some were bordering on the bizarre. The TriShaw which need a new nose tyre, but the RAF wouldn't sanction one being obtained from a local airline which flew the same model. So an Albert ambled its way slowly over the pond with the essential spare aboard. Or the Vulcan stuck in Hawaii (must have been hell for them) which needed some more hydraulic fluid. Which, of course, had to be flown out as DAC on a 'special' Albert...

I'm told that a Victor once needed a replacement PFCU to be sent to Offutt; when the box arrived after several days and was opened the Victor crew were somewhat bemused to find that it contained a 4-tonner crankshaft... I don't actually believe that tale - but I've certainly received the wrong part after 2/3 days even though the correct description had been provided...

Does such fun still go on?

And now back to our regular programme.