PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mrs Bloggs 'At Home' Etiquette/Protocols
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2010, 07:19
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
USe of Rank Socially

It is clear that some social-climbers get a vicarious thrill of being around military personnel. Some 12 years ago I attended a family wedding (on Mrs WP's side) and there was a 'Lady' there who had acquired the title through marriage. Her husband had recently died. But she was one of the most aggressive social climbers I think I have encountered (obtaning the title was clearly an enabling objective) and she delighted it introducing 'Sqn Ldr WP' to her acquaintances - as it seemed to reinforce her own social standing.

I wasn't in uniform and it wasn't a Service Wedding (where use of rank etc is entirley appropriate as Service weddings are great reunions) but she learned of my rank through social chit-chat. As the afternoon progressed (a garden-party styled reception) she got distinctly squiffy on champers and proceeded to chase me around the event, calling out in a Hyacinth Bucket style 'Squadron Leader, Coooeee!' across the garden. I was mortified and Mrs WP was distinctly unimpressed - with me!

Somehow, 12 years on now that my uniform has shrunk and my hair has thinned, I'm not sure that some drunken guttersnipe would chase me around a party. Oh dear. Life does deliver cruel blows!