PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EOLs
Thread: EOLs
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2010, 06:20
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ciao Dennisimo!

I wonder if you can even count the number of engine offs you have performed - it must be in the multiple thousands by now - and I am sure you're procedure has brought you down safe and sound every time!

Great thread Maestro!

My only EOL for real was in an AB206A and the terrain did not allow for any run-on.
Mine was also in a 206A (converted to a B) which was eventually bought by Dennis Kenyon, G-AYTF. According to PPRuNer TRC it was caused by a failure in the turbine's P2 line.

We were at approx. 700ft agl and with no place to go except straight ahead where, mercifully, there was an open field. The field had fairly large furrows running roughly east-west and we were southbound out of the Team Lotus headquarters at Hetel and therefore set up to land across the furrows.

Sincerely, I can't recall whether Bob introduced a touch of collective prior to levelling but, given the brevity of our descent and the available time, I don't think so.

There was no possibility of permitting any forward speed, with forward momentum the furrows would have tipped the little Ranger on its back! For this reason the flare was extreme, it seemed as if we were almost vertical at one point but, we levelled and cushioned with zero forward speed, a gentle touchdown and the 'Dancer' (G-AYTF) was intact. It was the Colonel at his best!

This incident is recalled on another thread and one thing I learnt from it is that in a genuine scenario, unless this procedure runs through your veins, well - scrambled eggs come to mind!

At Point 4. the 206's nose-high attitude was pronouned just prior to a 'smart' (rapid) level leading into a zero-forward-speed cushion.

With Dennis' one time chief flying instructor 'Antonio' (Tony 'Nobby' Clarke) I was taught the 'collective-in-flare' technique but as an option to increase/decrease Nr according to the intended landing profile, zero-stop, run on, etc.

In the days when I used to fly commercially I regularly attended refresher courses in the US and have to voice my admiration for the various instructors I encountered there. They were among some of the most professional and well disciplined aviators I have come across, with heaps of proficiency in power-off landings, and which familiarity was conveyed with confidence during their training exercises.

Here for your perusal, the Alabama State Troopers practicing autos in one of their Kiowas.

S.