PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2010, 21:52
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedbirdconcorde, M2dude,

Ever been involved with movie making, even on the sideline?

For every minute, there's usually another thirty minutes or so of "takes".
Most of them end up straight in the bin (or the "cutting room floor", to use that ancient expression), either because they're similar but not quite as good, or because something went wrong.

Only rare samples get saved.... there's a great photo of the shadow of the Lear Jet on a Concorde, that's still around.

Still, I think there's more around than we think... I just discovered "Concorde -The World's Greatest Airliner', a DVD still on sale at the "Concorde at Filton" website, with 'stuff' I'd never seen before.

Personally, I still wonder....

"Airport 79 -Concorde" was a totally rubbishy movie.
But, in 1979, special effects and computer-generated images were still primitive, so a lot of the actual air-to-air, and in particular the low flying in the "Alps" (in reality the Pyrénées) is real, flown by French test pilot Jean Franchi.
One of the scenes in the film involves a looping (!) to evade a missile.
Franchi suggested to replace this with a barrel roll , which he'd already performed repeatedly with a Concorde.
Sadly, his suggestion wasn't taken up by the producer, and the movie still has the improbable "loop-the-loop".

But, the question will remain forever....
Did Jean Franchi ever perform one of his barrel rolls in front of the Lear Jet, to show what it would look like?
And is any of that footage still stored somewhere?

I still dream....

CJ