PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Woodford future?
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2010, 10:52
niknak
niknak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For someone to buy it and keep it open as an airfield would be a huge investment which would take a long time to recoup.
For someone to buy it as building land, (domestic or industrial) would still be a huge investment but it would provide returns relatively quickly.

About 15 years ago I applied for an airfield management position at Woodford and, as part of the interview I had to give a presentation.
Knowing, even then, that the factory's future was under threat, I enlisted the help of friends who run a large FBO concern and gave a presentation on how the airfield could be opened up to G/A, Corporate and Commercial Jet operations as an alternative to Manchester. This included minimum expenditure for a FBO terminal and use of existing hangerage.
I also got information from friends in ATC and the then ATCC at Manchester to demonstrate that, given silver crossing palms and bottles exchanged at Christmas, it would have possible to incorporate a letter of agreement with the two ATC units to ensure no hiccups for the increased amounts of arriving and departing traffic.
The British Aerospace bods at the interview were absolutely astonished at the thought, they just couldn't contemplate the possibility of the airfield being used by non company aircraft.
I was offered the post, but their neanderthol & luddite attitude put me off and I politely declined.

BAe could easily lease out the airfield and the south side to a FBO who would be able run the airfield on that basis (which, according to my contacts, still is a viable option which would interest them) and, although economic times are tough, they could either lease out the redevelopment of the factory site, or sell it.

Sadly, I don't see it happening, BAe have a myopic approach to business and I suspect the whole site will disappear for a one off, miniscule payment.