PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A split path...
Thread: A split path...
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2010, 10:41
170to5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which one will mean you can make your loan repayments when you're working on a part-year contract after having paid for your own TR?

bmibaby
Monarch
easyJet
Thomas Cook

are all now recruiting but only offering part-time contracts to people who have spent in excess of £80,000 on their training once living costs are taken into account. Not exactly the stuff that dreams are made of. I would recommend to anybody that delaying training for a few years (a good few years) would begin to develop a restricted number of new pilots which would lead to a requirement
to improve T&C's to a point where it's worth the initial capital outlay.

Don't forget Europe is a mature market and therefore is limited in expansion - expansion, I believe, will be back into routes that were dropped when the downturn came. There are enough type-rated, experienced crews without work to fill all the seats that come from this.

I heard that British Airways had 3000 applications for 80 jobs, and Aer Lingus had over 1000 applications for 30 jobs...

My advice would be to ask both schools how many of their students have gone on to permanent contracts in the last 2 or 3 years. This will give you a good idea of the wisdom of spending all that money to walk into a contract that will pay you, most likely, £40,000 a year - not taking into account the money you will lose with loan repayments, as most people have to...

Apologies for the thread creep, but there must always be one harbinger of doom per thread!

(By the way I finished training just over 2 years ago, and before I got into the working world I was, as most people here are, completely uneducated as to the genuine state of the industry - no matter what their beliefs!)

- just read the last few posts - make that 3 harbingers!