PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2010, 03:07
mm43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bearfoil

As requested, I have added another layer on the graphic to give an indication of how the surface current may have moved bodies and debris. There is no exact science involved here; more intuitive based on some evidence which indicated that the current was flowing to the NE in the SW quadrant of the search area at the time of the impact. That current was observed to back to the North over the next 6 days, and is evident in the northern sector where the bodies tracked to the north following the initial sighting. A lot of the miscellaneous debris moved way to the west of the track drawn here, on account of windage and the prevailing ENE winds.

I suspect the "Ursula" sighting on 5 June 2009 wasn't recovered until either the 7th or 8th.

As drawn, the sharp end of the "horn" is in another unresolved area, i.e. "L'Emeraude" pinger tapes. Mathematically, the position could equally be near the "Pollution Spot", but the math(s) involved cannot take into account the unpredictable whims of surface currents and wind when arriving at a probability.

This unresolved tiff between the MoD and MoT which happened to involve Thales, contracted to the MoD and Airbus, may actually be something relevant to the search. The parties involved aren't making their thoughts on this public though.

mm43

Last edited by mm43; 28th Nov 2010 at 03:46.