PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EOLs
Thread: EOLs
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2010, 22:02
Helinut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dennis,

I would say your run through was about right. How much check lever at the end of the flare is going to be type specific depending on inertia: the best comparison is between the R22 and the B206. AS is also more critical with the low inertia machines IMO, because you are using the KE to power the flare and cushion. Too little AS provides not enough KE, too much AS is hard to get rid of in the flare.

Someone (ex mil, I guess) was saying how the non military world did not seem to do EOLs. I suspect that would be your experience if you only were exposed to twin engine training/operations. Most ME heles have full training EOLs banned in their AFMs. EOLs are a requirement of all S/E skill tests in the UK. I guess there is a risk assessment in there that EOL for ME is less likely and the potential repair bill for practice EOLs correspondingly greater.

For many years I flew just MEs and EOLs got remote. I have recently started flying S/E again and feel reassured to have that extra tool back in practice.