PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RN Sub run aground
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2010, 18:19
Union Jack

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
An apocryphal tale has it that a Commander RN, who had been 'passed over' for promotion, was the captain of a frigate, and dinged the bow of said ship whilst coming alongside. The subsequent court martial sentenced him to some loss of seniority, which put him back in the promotion bracket and he was subsequently elevated to Captain RN.

I have certainly heard a similar story, albeit without mention of any specific incident, but I would have to be somewhat sceptical about Rossian's:

the way I heard the tale was that a submarine beached itself at the bottom of FOSM's garden because, assuming that we are talking about Dolphin House at Gosport, the house in question is located 0.7 NM from navigable water and 0.3 NM from salt water of any depth!

However, Rossian's dit could be an oblique reference to the perhaps equally apocryphal tale of a certain Nigel Lawson (yes, that Nigel Lawson) running the aptly named FPB GAY CHARGER up the Wardroom lawn at HMS HORNET during his National Service.

Incidentally, before the sadly almost inevitable scatological humour about the GAY Class rears its ugly head, the word had at that time none of the modern connotations it now does.

Back to the real issue, Commander Coles has done a first class job bringing ASTUTE from building through trials up to acceptance and, obviously without the benefit of knowing what came to light in the BOI, I really had hoped that "the powers that be" would let him get on with the job in hand. For several reasons, all good, I certainly would not like to be whoever gets a pierhead jump to relieve him.

Jack