PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transient Ischemic Attack or 'mini-stroke'.
Old 27th Nov 2010, 17:31
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transient Ischemic Attack or 'mini-stroke'.

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anybody has relevant experience from which they might be able to advise me.

Two years ago, I had a weird kind of 'mini-stroke' one Saturday afternoon while I was out shopping. It happened like this. Over a period of perhaps five or ten minutes, when my glance fell upon the face of some other person, for just a split second it would look as though the other person either had no right eye, or alternatively had their right eye closed. On looking again, the person would now seem to have two eyes, both open. Other than that there were absolutely no other symptoms and I have experienced absolutely no stroke-like symptoms whatever during the subsequent two years.

At the time, I did not know what it was and so drove home in my car. I now know that I should have dialed 999 for an ambulance at once and gone to straight to hospital chop-chop.

As there was no GP's surgery on a Saturday and as the symptoms were brief and entirely optical I telephoned my optician. His view was that the occurrence may have been associated with migraine, but equally could perhaps be the result of a tiny stroke. I pointed out that I had never had migraine. He advised me to take half an aspirin and to inform my GP of the episode at the earliest opportunity, which I did.

My GP, however, failed to recognise the symptoms, which was understandable as they were most unusual. So it was another 22 months before the attack was recognised for what it was by an ophthalmologist I consulted.

For most of the last two years, my PPL has been expired, so I am not currently flying. However, I should like to return to flying before too long. At that point, I shall have to declare the attack to my AME. Does anybody please know what the CAA's policy is likely to be toward someone in my situation?

Regards,

Broomstick.