PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Safety and Mobile Phones??
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2002, 13:09
missioncontrol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propjockey- I was interested to read your remarks ref. mobile phones.

My airline has a policy of no mobile phones, laptop computers or electronic devices to be used from when the aircraft doors are closed until they are opened, ie after the Air-jetty is attached.

Unfortunately this relies on the cabin crew to make announcements and to actively police the cabin,-quite difficult during take-off and landing whilst they have to remain strapped to their jump-seats.

I personally have been involved in 3 incidents, one as a passenger, and twice as crew where mobile phones have been the primary suspected cause of interference with the navigational capabilities of the aircraft.

In one more serious case a series of unusual autopilot/flight instrument indications led to a level bust.Although it was not proven, a mobile phone was suspected.

From this I deduce that the public are arrogant beyond belief to the point where they will jeopardize their own safety, so as to continue to have their banal conversations.

Fact: it will take a serious accident ( note I do not use the word incident) directly attributed to a Mobile phone before "The Authority" will legislate and force the airlines to rigourously enforce this ban.

Till then I can only suggest that you bring the attention of the cabin-crew to the offenders/chancers and in turn to the Captain of the aircraft.