PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 26th Nov 2010, 21:39
John W Lewis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surprised that this thread is still about engine issues

As a late comer to this thread, and a lapsed private pilot with probably far less experience than almost everyone here, I am nevertheless surprised to see that this thread is still focussing on the engine failure on the Qantas A380.

The implications of some of the things that I am hearing about this flight are far more serious than an engine failure.

There are a large number of messages on this thread, and I have not read them all. However, on the first few pages there were observations from the photographs of the aircraft shortly after landing. These related to the continued running of the no 1 engine and the position of slats and undercarriage doors. Have the implications of these points been discussed and resolved? Is there, perhaps, another thread on which they are being discussed?

The things that I am hearing relate to major difficulties with many of the aircraft systems as a consequence of the engine failure including: a huge workload in dealing with system messages; failure of systems for fuel dumping and cross-feeding; failure of hydraulic systems, etc., etc..

My understanding is that it was extremely fortunate that additional and very experienced pilots were on board this flight. Also it is my understanding that the situation deteriorated to the extent that they felt the need to land the aircraft not only because the trapping of fuel in tanks in the tail section was causing the C of G to move continually aft, but eventually because they risked losing lateral control of the aircraft due to the inability to cross-feed fuel.

Engines will fail. If the failure of this one has exposed deeper problems with the management of emergencies on the A380, then surely these need to be investigated before continuing to operate this type. I am dismayed to read that Qantas intend to resume limited operation of their A380s tomorrow, 2010-11-27.

If there is any truth in any of this, then it indicates a need for the study of the implications for the safety: certainly, of existing A380s; probably, of the A380 in general; and, possibly, of all Airbus aircraft. If there are possible major safety concerns in operating this type of aircraft, then it seems most unlikely that Airbus will put a stop to their operation. So who will: the authorities, the airlines or the pilots?

If there are no problems to be investigated, then these detailed "rumours" are coming from somewhere!