PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Adding flaps DURING takeoff roll on 737
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2010, 12:51
tica011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Adding flaps DURING takeoff roll on 737

Hi,

First to make it clear that I am not a professional pilot, albeit am an aerospace engineer, with over 2000 hrs of private, instrument and multi-engine time.

I was a passenger yesterday on a flight from Frankfurt to Belgrade on JAT Airways that left me very disturbed. The FP did not during taxing and runway positioning deploy flaps, rather decided to start extending them at the same time when he started adding power for take off. At the time that he nose wheel lifted off the runway the flaps were still in motion, and were fully extended at the moment the mains left the runway. The weather was MVFR and no particular cross wind existed.

I thought this is, based on all my eduction and training (both as an engineer and a pilot) to be a major breach of safety. The consequence of flaps not fully deploying or uneven deployment, could be fatal (isn't SpanAir accident of (similar cause??). I actually found it so disturbing that I alerted the cabin crew to this as we were lined up on the runway (and they did talk to the front of the plane, but have no idea if my intervention had any consequences). I don't even want to mention that the controls were never check for "free and correct" during preflight, cockpit door was open for half of the flight etc...

I am considering filing a formal complaint with the airline and the civil aviation authorities, since I believe this kind of behavior puts the flying public in danger. But before doing so, I would appreciate any input from professional flying community, if I am missing something or if there is a procedure that I am not aware of.

Thanks in advance.