PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice after finishing training - what do I do next (Merged)
Old 26th Nov 2010, 12:06
LeHefe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More moaning

Hi folks,

I guess there's lots of this kind of threads as we all know. I just wanted to start a new one because I can't see it doing any harm.

Anyway, I'm in a situation where I can't find a job even though my situation is kinda happy as I've got no loan. I started doing my PPL at 2006 when industry was booming and airlines were advertising jobs in local newspapers etc. (Put here some cheesy stuff how I always wanted to be a pilot and fly. Yeah we all did and still do) I sold my flat and borrowed a bit money from my relatives and left to UK as I was told it's THE BEST place train and UK-license is THE MOST known around the world. I guess I was average in groundschool (+90% average), one-stop CPL/IR, first time pass IR and so on. Yeah, like it really matters I look at it now.

Then comes the recession, ashclouds, Greece, Ireland you name it. Let's try to find a job. I polish my CV for a week to make it look as good as possible and start applying. Conclusion; Europe is loaded by unemployed pilots. I send more than 100 CV's (still counting) and get nothing but negatives. I read (actually I was aware of this years ago) Asia is desperately lacking pilots? I do a bit research and it seems to be +1500h for F/O position pretty much everywhere. I still send loads of applications but no reply. Next continent - Africa. All the jobs seem to go to nationals or then there's some other corrupted shait going on. Let's still send some applications. Bush flying, cargo, anything I can find. No answer. I know that as a market Africa is a bit different but I'm not going to Maun. I thought about it but don't have a chance for it at the moment. So what's left? North-America, Latin-America, Australia, Middle-East and Japan are out of reach. Russia - not really. And that's about it. No jobs anywhere. I start thinking about FI-rating but these jobs are rare as well. And seriously I believe it will take lot's of time these days to build your hours by instructing PPL's.

Thing is that I couldn't care less which aircraft type it would be. Single, twin, jet, prop, glider. I'd just like to have a J-O-B but there isn't one. Well, to be honest few of my fellow students got jobs and are flying jets now. All of them through P2F schemes or Ryanair = same thing. I know one guy who was nicely said "unsuitable" for as a pilot but there he is on right hand seat of A320 and just because of the fat wallet. I don't want to sound bitter because I'm not (or maybe I am) but this guy was just as arrogant and cocky as a man can be and there he is flying tube full of 150 passengers. Have I thought about these P2F schemes myself? I have but it's just a bit against my morale and more than that financially out of reach.

So what's the point of this post? I don't know. Therapy? Kill some time? Just to moan? Well I don't really want to sound like moaning. I'm quite positive I will find a job at some point. I am happy that I did it and glad that I chose modular way instead of integrated which would have taken me in the sea of debts. When I was reading this forum few years ago and trying to decide where to train and how I didn't care of the negative comments about the industry. I just wanted to do it and fly, that simple. Worry later I thought. Well here we go. From that perspective I can understand people starting their training now. But if I can give any advice to people considering flying as a career these days think twice. Forget about the bull***t of pilot shortage and false FTO marketing. Don't do it now unless you have some really good connections or rich parents. Seriously.

And if there's any people who got a job outside P2F/Ryanair or cadet schemes raise your hands and tell me how you did it!

PS. Try to bear the typos. English isn't my first language.