PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was an average Spitfire / Hurricane Pilot paid during WW2 ?
Old 26th Nov 2010, 10:51
26er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt that pay rates had changed from 1945 until I was called up for NS in Nov 1949. I was fortunate to be given pilot training. At No 1 ITS Wittering, transferring to Jurby at Easter 1950, my pay was 4 shillings/day which after deductions became about £1-5-0/week. Remember barrack damages?

We then moved to 6 FTS Ternhill and became Officer Cadet Pilot 4s on £1-15-0/week, this money being payed directly into my bank account. I seem to remember that on starting on the Harvard in Dec '50 it became £2-2-0/week and on being commissioned in May 1951 it was about £5-0-0 a week. I can't remember particularly worrying about the pay as it was such a thrill to be flying and I suspect we would have done it all for nothing, mad idiots that we then were. I do remember on going to the Vampire OCU at Chivenor being told that the civilian bowser drivers were paid more than we pilots.

In 1952 I rejoined the RAF on a short service commission. In April 1956 pay was considerably increased, according to rumour because of problems most officers had with bank managers and overdrafts. You could be court martialled if you exceeded an agreed overdraft.

At that time the squadron I was on was nominated as a Quickfire unit meaning we were at readiness to deploy at short notice to warmer climes, and were given a tropical kit allowance of about £40. This immediately disappeared and when the call unexpectedly came in Aug '56 there was a rush to Milletts to buy war surplus KD on the cheap. What a scruffy lot!