PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For the Young Ones...
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2001, 14:05
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Not at all clear prop ... I should have made myself more clear perhaps, I'm not parting on bad terms with the management at all and may indeed be back if I can't find anything faster to fly in the next few months. To be fair, it's always been a fairly seasonal business when you're this far north, especially with the contract, people that work here have always been drowning under a flood of students in Jul/Aug/Sep/Oct and then found themselves spending the winter staring at the office four walls.

What's happened this year however, is that in the normal scheme of things, most of the instructors would move on to the airlines at the end of the summer (apparently in the last few months of last year, 17 instructors went on to airline / airforce jobs). The company likes it that way, so they can get through the slow winter months with minimal staff and then take on a bunch of new instructors in the spring. This year however with the airline crisis there's not been a single one of us able to go anywhere else. A few cutbacks were kind of inevitable really.

So I wouldn't go accusing them of losing the plot and in fact they have a few little cards up their sleeves yet that I'm not alowed to talk about, obviously I'd prefer to be getting paid to fly but I'm actually not too bothered by taking an unpaid leave of absence and spending the winter in warmer climes Suffice to say the boss is quite well connected, I wouldn't see that company doing an SFT any time soon even if the Flying Scholarship is over and done with.

Personally I've got my 1500 hours in singles now and I'm going to spend the next few months scouring the four corners of the earth for multi time, but I'm still on good terms with the boss and if nothing better comes up and the airline hiring stays slow then as I said I will probably be back here next summer.