PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2010, 01:57
flyingpatrol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fact is, every air carrier in the world today is finding ways to save every dollar, not only CX. I am not disagreeing with anyone here, I'm on your side also, but it makes total sense for any business to make things work to their advantage. This issue applies to all the job positions in the company. The management in every company is there to just look at numbers, and figure out ways to make the numbers bigger, I don't blame them, because companies need to survive, so does our career. Airlines do compete with each other, so they do similar actions on their employees to save money. However, I know it just sucks to be the pilots because we spent more time, effort, and money than the other positions on obtaining our qualifications. Today is different from before, pretty much everybody has access to flight training, in other words, anyone can become a pilot as long as the money and time is there. In the States, there are several carriers where the pilots pay the company for an FO position, and there are still pilots who are willing to do it. No interview involved, just a payment, and a training, then you're on the right seat. Rich parents are willing pay for their kids to play airline pilot. Imagine the amount of money they're saving on the pilots, OH, I meant, the amount they're "making from" the pilots. The aviation industry is shifting to a different direction, unlike in the past, when being a pilot was more like being a doctor. In the States, a regional airline pilot has a salary lower than any job you can imagine, but people are still fighting for this job of their dream. Therefore, there is absolutely no problem for any airline to recruit pilots, why should they worry if kids are willing to pay to work as a pilot?

Unless there are new regulations being written up to regulate how companies pay their pilots. We can't really do much as pilots, but to find an airline that's more suitable for our needs.