PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lining up with the centreline
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2010, 22:48
Lord Spandex Masher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicholas49
But I wondered how you know when to make the turn? Do you have a visual reference point on the runway? For example, you start the turn when you reach the second stripe after the centreline? Slightly crass analogy, but when you learn to drive and to do a reverse parallel park, you learn to turn when the car passes a certain point. Is it similar?
From my point of view you are spot on. However, I suspect that it will vary between individuals.

At a previous airfield that I was based at I knew that if I got to the displaced threshold line and turned 25 degrees to the right until it my arse was over one of the lines of (can't remember what it's called but it's the black rubbery stuff that they fill cracks up with) and then went to full 'opposite lock' I would be lined up perfectly on the centreline at the end of the turn, only worked at one end though the other end I would wait until the runway side lights intersected with the F/O's map clip. Strangely I turn opposite directions at opposite ends of the runway too. How did I discover that it worked that way? Trial and error!

On other runways with a 90 degree line up I wait until the centreline intersects the third air vent on the rear pillar of my side window - behind my left shoulder - then use a full lock turn which puts me pretty much bang on the centreline line. However, if I'm turning right to line up it's more guess work 'cos there'a fatty F/O in the way! If it's dark or low vis I stick to the yellow lines.

Not crass at all mate.