View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2010, 15:10
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 443 Likes on 235 Posts
Mariner9,

I concur, see post #3.

IMHO, As far as airframe icing (and carb icing where appropriate) are concerned, they are both potentially very hazardous, so it's well worth knowing all one can about the subject. My future was once nearly decided for me by severe engine intake and airframe icing in a military jet at night. It's not something I'd like anyone else to experience.

Pace, we've disagreed about icing before, IIRC. The subject aircraft here are not fast and obviously are more badly affected and cannot often climb above the conditions; the longer the aircraft flies in the conditions, the more ice accretion is likely to be.

Fiji,

Yes, the OP can undoubtedly be reassured that his instructor will look after him and decide if a particular day is suitable, but from what I've seen and read, teaching of the real dangers of aircraft icing seems a rather neglected subject, at least in UK. I wonder why instructors aren't addressing this subject already, bearing in mind the recent weather forecasts? These questions about icing do come up with some regularity....