PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Number of PPL's in Europe?
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2010, 14:09
Jan Olieslagers

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
To add to the off-topic excursion:

@Silvaire, my limited impressions of Slovenia are much the same as yours. Wealthy Germans make up a good part of the traffic at LJPZ Portoroz, for instance - even though I drank wine there for 0,50€ per glass, just a couple of years ago. LJMB Maribor had few foreigners, yet a fair amount of G/A was going on there, and the hangars, including one or two newly built, were well stocked.
Certainly the Slovenians are finding their own middle of the European road, might well be the way to go.

@IO540: perhaps there is a difference between Northern and Southern Italy. I've never been to the South, but Northern Italy has quite a lot of G/A; check Cremona Migliaro for one busy aerodrome - with an excellent restaurant, by the way. And the aeroclub at Venegono even boasts a twin! Not to mention the hydroplane club at Como, one of the very few of its kind in Europe, if not the only one. Actually Northern Italy reminded me much of Austria, no surprise considering history.

One thing is striking, though, as one travels South: less and less glider activity.