PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fainting whilst at work following a crash diet
Old 25th Nov 2010, 13:09
spitfire747

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts
Fainting whilst at work following a crash diet

A friend of mine at work, male 26, went onto a diet to lose some weight, which involved eating just protein such as chicken, tuna, meats and vegetables, nuts, seeds and pulses. NO carbs such as rice, potatoes or dairy products were consumed.

After a couple of months and a slight weight loss, he subsequently fainted whilst at work in the cruise and subsequently put on a no fly.

After exhaustive ECGs and various tests the CAA have pulled his JAA Class one for a period of 6 months and stated he must complete a full head up tilt test prior to consideration of re-instating the medical.
He has told me in confidence that there is no way he can pass the tilt test as the thought of the needles and intrevenous lines makes him feel faint thinking about it, I agree with this not everyones cup of tea.

Failing or not doing this test means no medical, no job.

Is there anyone with experience of this and knows whether following a single episode of fainting, if a tilt test can be avoided?
JAR FLC is very specific but says a tilt test "may" be required, but not "must" be required.

Thanks
Spit