PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod MRA.4
Thread: Nimrod MRA.4
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2010, 07:46
iRaven

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts
Firstly, the razor blades banter was exactly that - a tongue in cheek reply to a somewhat daft question (IMHO).

The second pic is more aircrew banter in reply to an emotional retort (somewhat mawkish, again IMHO).

On the subject of opinion, here is mine that has been asked for:

1. Yes, in a perfect world MRA4 would still be swallowing EP money as it staggered towards IOC. Yes, I believe that we need an MPA capability, but we simply can't afford the BWoS pricetag now and for years to come - the decision to go with them was a mistake we have made before (think Tornado F2, Typhoon, Harrier GR5, Phoenix UAV, botched legacy aircraft safety cases and I think you get the picture of cost over runs and/or non-delivery of required capability).
2. There are still stories to come on the Safety Case and the myriad of problems being worked through right up to cancellation.
3. Yes, its bad that so many have lost their beloved role - but, hey, they're hardly alone. The country has just averted credit rating disaster and we can thank MRA4 for contributing to the debt and now for being a small-part saviour through cancellation. Accross the country there are lots of others facing redundancy - although I believe that a large amount at KIS will be offered posts if they are willing to move, re-branch or re-muster. I know that a lot have houses in the locale that are now in negative equity - well I don't live in KSS and bought my pad in 2007, so I'm also in the negative equity club with a posting away from the area inside 12 months. Also, redundancy payments are far more generous than others facing the axe by the Govt.
4. I suspect CAS was left with a choice (that became parochial between Services in the end). MPA is not core Air Power business and if the RN and CT organisations want it then they will have to pay for it. Same decision for SAR helicopters was made as it was for the Land-centric Sentinel and SH fleet.

Am I saddened by the loss of MPA? Yes, but I also realise that we can't afford it and with force reductions to 31,000 something has to give (and I suspect there will be more in PR11+, so no, I don't feel job secure).

Sorry if the above jumps around a bit, but I've typed it on a smart phone.

Lastly, FFS buck up on the banter! You only live once!

iRaven