PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - feeder fix time/ required time of arrival (RTA)
Old 25th Nov 2010, 03:30
amberale

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Cap'n.
I work @ the nations capital after years on BN approach and flow[outing myself here].
We usually have the Dash crews calling visual at 30 miles and half the jets not calling visual until on base.
This is a hassle as I am actually sitting in ML centre and only getting updates on the weather from my capable colleagues in CB tower.
I'm sweating on you getting visual as #1
I ask them about the cloud and they tell me that they can see you but you still haven't called visual.
There are terrain, noise abatement and GPWS issues so I can't drop you below 6000' unless you are visual.
Meanwhile number 2 is coming in on left base and I don't know whether I am going to have to pull you out for an instrument approach.
Theoretically it is a pilot responsibility to stay above the steps on a visual approach.
In reality, if there is likely to be traffic below you won't get assigned a level below the step.
Think R14 at BN with RED cct beneath or almost anywhere around ML.

Please tell me when you are visual.
Even if I assign you a visual approach I will be watching to make sure you stay in CTA.

One of our major customers told us in writing a couple of years ago that if they were early on their schedule they would fly econ, if they were on time they would fly profile and if they were late they would fly fast.
WTF???
We don't know where you are reference your company schedule so have no idea what speeds you are doing unless we ask.

Years of flowing has me distrusting 'busses.
The A320 FMS seems to ignore the higher descent speeds.
Untold times bus crews have advised that they can't make a FF time[think they will be later] only to have them sail through the ff early.
I'm not flaming here.
I just think there is a limitation with the FMS and we take it into account.
Likewise the bigger busses seem to be a pita if we stuff you around inside 20nm to run. your workload goes through the roof so we try to fix the sequence earlier.

A sequence is an attempt to make a stream of aircraft to the runway.
With 5-20 different aircraft types in the mix flying different profiles even in the same company it is usually 'organised mayhem'
Usually it needs tweaking by the approach controllers even when the arrivals controllers do a great job.

Not once in 30 years have I stuffed someone around for fun and I understand that you are busy too.
When there is a 5 way dead heat then someone is going to be delayed by at least 10 minutes.

I'm sure you folks would prefer to lose time in the cruise rather than be stuffed around in the terminal area.
Unfortunately, efficient runway usage at the major airports with sequences that go for an hour or more mean that we flow you with pressure[early] to 30 miles then have to tweak this inside 30.

Hope this helps, I'm back to the cricket.

AA

I'm back to the cricket