PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cross Country? Cold temps
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2010, 02:21
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
My personal record is a ferry flight in a C 172 from central Quebec, where the OAT at takeoff was -41C - no problem (though make sure you have lots of warm survival gear aboard).

Avoid any visible percipitation at close to freezing temperatures, but other than that, go and have fun, the plane won't mind. If you blunder into icing conditions in a 150/2, 172, or 180 series Cessna, you will most easily see ice accumulate on the upper portion of the windshield, which has the shape of the leading dege of the wing. If you see ANY accumulation there (or elsewhere on the aircraft), turn around, and get out. If there is a trace there, and no more accumulates, use caution for a slightly higher stall speed, but the plane will fly fine.

If you need pilot heat or winshield heat in the aforementioned model of Cessna, you are in icing way too deep, and have been careless - get out without delay!

In 34 winter seasons of flying VFR in the winter, it has never occurred to me that I really needed pilot heat on a single Cessna. I really think Cessna just put the heated pitot tube, beacuse it looked much more cool than the silly 1/4" tube pitot tubes found on the older Cessnas! While flying Aztecs IFR in icing, I can confirm that you want every single de icing system working perfectly!

Enjoy winter flying, though I'd rather enjoy it in -10C OAT than -1C