PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Twotter Crash in Nepal
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2002, 05:45
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Yep: As stated above, the German article claims in bold letters that the route is difficult (schwer) because of the deep gulley/ravine (Schlucht) between the two mountains X and Y.

Do the airlines which operate into that area use charts such as Jeppesen, which would require very specific instrument procedures to be used even in VMC? Do they have extra training requirements for Special Airports? Even Birmingham, AL (BHM) and Harrisburg/Middletown, PA (MDT) are on our list. That should give laymen an idea of what can be classified as potentially hazardous. Journalists and others unfamiliar with the subject: ask a pilot to look at the Jeppesen charts for Eagle, CO and Missoula, MT for an idea of what can be required in mountains. My airline requires each 757 pilot to retrain once a year for this very demanding airport, in addition to the normal events-the other fleets (i.e. A-319/320) are not allowed to go there, mostly due to the second segment climb requirements. On the other hand, we have our share of tragedies in rough terrain despite charts: a chartered Learjet tried a circling approach at night into Eagle many years ago! Check what the (military) government-issued NOS charts stated years ago in very condensed small print, with no graphic procedure at all, when an Air Force C-130 crashed while departing Cheyenne, WY.

I asked somebody at MAC (now AMC) headquarters at Scott AFB years ago via e-mail, as to why the AF did not switch to Jeppesen charts which seem to have more graphic procedures available than the NOS, and the answer was very convoluted and something to do with red tape etc.

Were both engines on the Twin Otter operating with normal power?

Last edited by Ignition Override; 23rd Aug 2002 at 05:51.