PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windfarms
Thread: Windfarms
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2010, 18:35
enstrompilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wind turbines

an Aviation 'expert' has produced a report for my local planning authority which includes:-

This does not preclude flight over the turbines themselves but would subsequently require a relatively steep approach to the helipad (7.5°), assuming a 50 foot clearance from the turbine blades, and would not be considered to be good airmanship

besides it not clear quite what he is saying, I dont fancy being only 50' above the rotating blades of a turbine.

in addition to this he is proposing that once the turbines are installed there would remain a clear route between them and the nearby conurbation (which he acknowledges can not be flown over below 1000'). the route he suggests indicated flight within 180m of the turbines (450' tall with 360' rotor diameter)

can it be safe to fly that close to turbines, both day and night ? - what about turbulence ?

some guidlines suggest 2 rotor spans (1200' agl) above and 10 rotor spans away (1000m).

I would be very interested to receive 'considered comment' on the 'experts' views.