PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Airlines B747 Crash (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2002, 03:49
SaturnV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JBS, thanx for the pictures, although not having designed any 747 structures, I am not sure what they show. Since you seemingly dismiss the credentials of Bernard Loeb, and discount his statements as mere opinions, let me quote from the metallurgist's report on his examination of the forward cargo door:
Examination of the lower lobe forward cargo door showed that all eight of the door latching cams remain attached (along with pieces of the door itself) to the pins along the lower door sill.

Overall examination of the forward portion of the airplane showed that sections 41 and 42 contained uniform crushing damage that extended from S-39L across the bottom of the fuselage and up above the right side main cabin window belt to S-14R. This crushing damage is consistent with the intact forward portion of the airplane (including sections 41 and 42) impacting the water with a right wing low attitude. The lower lobe forward cargo door was in the crush area.
That metallurgist's findings seem to contradict your hypothesis of the cargo door flying off and initiating the disaster.

As for Mr. Loeb, you said the following:
By referring me to Dr. Bernard Loeb, you are offering someone else’s opinion as proof, which is exactly what I did not ask for as it is not evidence or facts but wishful thinking on the part of the non aircraft accident investigator Bernie Loeb." ....
first of all Loeb is not an aircraft accident investigator
Perhaps you harbor some animus against Mr. Loeb who received, by your own admission, hundreds of emails from you, and never responded to one. I have little doubt you are familiar with Mr. Loeb's resume, but other forum readers may not be.

He is the director of the Office of Aviation Safety at the NTSB (all the aircraft accident investigators work in this office).
Employed at the Safety Board for more than 20 years, he has also served the Board as the Director of the Office of Research and Engineering, Acting Director and the Deputy Director of the Bureau of Accident Investigation, the Chief of the Aviation
Engineering Division and the Chief of the Safety Studies and Data Analysis Division, and as an Aerospace Engineer during which time he researched and wrote numerous safety studies. Prior to joining the Safety Board, Dr. Loeb worked for about 15 years in various aeronautical engineering research positions in the aerospace industry and in government research laboratories.
Education and Training: Bachelors degree (1960) from the University of Maryland in aeronautical engineering; Masters (1963) and Doctorate (1966) from the George Washington University in engineering science.

Not defending Mr. Loeb's lack of response, but perhaps your communications were similar to the one you sent the President.
Mr. Bill Clinton, President of the United States of America
Dear Mr. President,
Hello, Sir. I have important news to give. Your life is in immediate danger, although slight, hopefully slight, when you fly on Air Force One, a Boeing 747-200B. This type aircraft has a history of
inadvertent forward cargo door openings in flight. Hindsight and the internet have enabled me to link several crashes of early model Boeing 747s to a common cause, the inadvertent opening of the forward cargo door in flight.

Documentation, pictures, comments, and emails from all over the world regarding this discovery are on the internet web site at
http://www.corazon.com

Your life, the lives of those who fly with you, and all the passengers on early model Boeing 747s are at risk to this door
opening outward and upward, tearing off in the slipstream exposing a large gash in the nose which tears off. The door openings at altitude mimic a bomb. It is not a bomb. The world will be a bit less dangerous once the causes are determined to be mechanical and not evil. Have you ever had a car door, or hood, or trunk open unexpectedly? I have; it's not unusual. If you have, then please give thought to possible airplane door opening and the severe consequences.

Please be responsive to this informed citizen. Mr. Clinton, leader from follower, I ask that you check out the forward cargo door as the cause of the crash of TWAFlight 800.
Sincerely, John Barry Smith
Two final points regarding your propensities for speculation and selectively choosing only those facts that suit your hypotheses. The bodies of seven residents of Lockerbie were never found. Surely you would not suggest that they were ingested by the engine(s).

And Aviation Week reported as follows:
The No. 4 left exit door had a puncture hole about the size of an orange at about fuselage station 1694. The hole has sharp teeth and appears to be caused by a high-energy impact, but there are conflicting indications of the direction of the impact, Yong said.
A neutral, objective statement, to which you quickly added the following as a possible cause:
The hole in the port side passenger door of China Airlines Flight 611 could be soda can being expelled as the fuselage disintegrates