PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could this happen: a non-pilot landing a heavy jet ??
Old 23rd Aug 2002, 01:35
Mindthegap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have seen pilots who are fresh out of 8 weeks training and, well they landed but had to be talked down until the last 3000 feet. Why do you think that all operators have a safetypilot up front when somebody is fressh out of training. If somebody with full conversion course behind them canīt do it without a safety pilot or instructions, WHY do ypu think you could do it. Many pilots with thousands of hours often end up in a situation like: Whatīs it doing now?? With all their knowledge and their experience they sometimes are not as much in the loop as they should. It takes experience (which we most often have in the left seat) to be able to land an a/c safely. When you are in the cockpit doing your job you have probably gained some experience, which is essencial to a big factor we pilots have to adjust to , STRESS. With experience this becomes less intrusive in your work. When you, a typical sim-knowitall sits there and everything that you thaught you knew isnīt there and everything becomes faster than you would expect, then things start to go wrong. Ideally, like you said, wether cond. and systemwise isnīt going to happen. There is always things that change, arenīt like you would expect(like in the sim.) I just think you are arrogant to say these things, because experience tells me it is going to end badly.