PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Airlines B747 Crash (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2002, 01:24
JohnBarrySmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test attempt to display graphic in post.
Barry

Another attempt to post graphic.
Barry

Dr. Loeb>We found no evidence that a structural failure and decompression initiated the break-up. A thorough examination of the wreckage by our engineers and metallurgists did not reveal any evidence of fatigue, corrosion, or any other structural fault that could have led to the break-up.

As a side note, I would like to mention that there was absolutely no evidence of an in-flight separation of the forward cargo door - one of the many theories suggested to us by the members of the public. The physical evidence demonstrated that the forward cargo door was closed and latched at water impact.

JBS>I offer as rebuttal to above opinion the above photos of the forward cargo door of Trans World Airlines Flight 800 which shows intact hinge, missing pressure relief doors, outward petal shaped bulges at the missing midspan latches as if from an outward force, general shattered appearance, and the absence of most of the door hardware. The bottom sill is probably the one for the aft cargo door as only one sill was retrieved and it was called the aft cargo door sill and was found in the aft fuselage debris field.

The China Airlines Flight 611 aft cargo door has some similar matches and awaits more wreckage retrieval.

Thanks to private message that assisted me in posting graphics.

Cheers,
Barry