PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2010, 01:21
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,
I’m also closely considering Air Japan. After reading most of the ANA thread, I believe this could be one of the best contract jobs available. Seems like a great company, and an exciting place to live (even if only for a few days each month).

Fratemate, Dominican, you guys have been major contributors of good, seemingly first-hand, information and I was hoping you would be able to answer a few more questions.

1/ Given the current dynamics of aviation in Japan, JAL’s collapse and the surplus of experienced local pilots, etc., Do you think that ANA will soon be able to fulfil its recruitment needs domestically, eliminating the need for contract expats?

2/ Has ANA renewed any contracts after completion, if so, is it performance based or merely a matter of staffing requirements at the time?

3/ What is the general attitude towards the expat pilot group, I mean, is there a sense of belonging “part of the family,” or are foreign pilot’s reminded that they are temporary help?

4/ Parc states that first officers may have the chance to upgrade within the first five years. Is this the reality, and is there a company preference, or drive to promote locals ahead of foreigners?

That’s it for now. Any help you guys can give is truly appreciated. I know the interview, and training would require a full effort, so I’m trying to get all the facts first,
Again, much thanks in advance.
CF-34

1. My PERSONAL opinion is that contract pilots will be required in AJX (and others) in the future. We've already seen evidence that ANA have neither been forced by the Government to take JAL pilots, nor have the ANA unions welcomed the JAL guys with open arms. There is expansion in Japan, despite the woes of JAL. Skymark have absorbed some of the JAL pilots and the new LCCs will employ both ex-JAL and non-Japanese contract pilots. Add in the fact that we're slowly returning to an aviation world of ops-normal, where Japan does not have enough pilots to crew its aircraft, plus the retirement bulge that is starting to burst, I reckon contact pilots are here to stay. (Cue the bs of Devine Wind).

2. Yes, contracts have been renewed and, I'm reliably informed, they will continue to be so. Clearly staff numbers will be a big consideration but, seeing as they're constantly recruiting, that doesn't seem to be significant. They save 6-7 months of training a new guy by keeping an existing one and that equals money, experience in their operation and a trained bum on the line (no, I don't mean that using the American vernacular). Not all contracts have been renewed but they are few and far between and seem to have been more down to non-flying reasons, rather than merit or performance on the line.

3. With very few exceptions, the Japanese pilots that are seconded to AJX, from ANA, are great guys, enjoy working with us round-eyes and are a pleasure to fly with. I have always been shown great respect by them and I get the feeling they are grateful to me for being there and helping their company. I certainly do not get the feeling of being an outsider and it is truly a shame that AJV have been merged because our Boss there made it known (especially during his sake speeches) that we were his "AJV family". Away from the office and in town we have a good time..........I think I'll leave it there

4. There are no locals to promote ahead of foreigners. With the exception of the seconded ANA pilots (all of whom are captains), the drivers of AJX's aircraft are contract pilots and, therefore, all foreigners, even the Japanese ones that are on contract What Parc says has certainly been true in the past. At around the 3 year point, FOs start to get assessed and around 3.5 years they do their upgrade training/checking. Things have changed a bit, as a result of the merger, and there is certainly a state of flux at the moment. It will all get sorted out pretty soon but, as you can imagine, we've merged lists and now have some pilots that are still pax or cargo only, plus those who can do both, plus the cargo terms & conditions exist as they are until April, so pax captains aren't flying cargo but they are the other way round etc etc etc. The most significant part of this is trying to sort out the merging of the FOs list. There is no seniority as such, so dates of joining, ages in the class etc must be considered so it's fair to all. Once the dust has settled they'll better be able to see what they need in terms of upgrades and things will smooth out again. All this having been said, my personal opinion is that upgrades may not happen in the first contract in the future. I say this for three reasons, in no particular order: (a)we are top heavy and this is not good for the Company salary bill, in a company that is trying to make savings (nor is it that much fun when you're seat swapping all the time....but that's not a significant reason) (b)by virtue of the shear number of FOs that have yet to upgrade and the length of the training process, I reckon if you joined now and had to wait your turn, by the time the current incumbents had finished training you'd almost be into your second contract, if not already on it (c)the Company are not so desperate for pilots at the moment, as they were a couple of years ago. With US pilots still flipping burgers etc, the Company has more choice and doesn't have to promise instant commands or commands in the near future in order to entice prospective candidates. This will, or course, change and in a good way for the future AJX FOs. The yanks will start taking back furloughed pilots, pilots will realise they'd rather get paid less flying in their home countries than commuting back and forth to Japan and AJX (and others) will have to 'up their game' again to get pilots in the aircraft. So, short answer, yes; that is the reality at the moment, so Parc aren't telling porkies BUT I think there will be a few years where the reality gets distorted and there will be a few FOs who don't get capt in their first contract.

Well, that's you well and truly bored, so I'm off to colour some charts and write notes on my Jepps.......nah, just kidding