PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ansett and the Fokker Friendship
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2010, 00:21
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Must be a bit more to be told about the low flying incident at Alice Springs?

As I recall,

(a) the captain involved on the flight conducted a lowish pass along the runway, it being his last flight on the Mouse prior to moving back onto the jet fleet.

(b) a transit 727 (?) captain took exception to the pass and advised management

(c) the captain involved was put back into the RHS on the jet fleet as penance for a period and then transitioned to the 727 as captain after his time in the sin bin

(d) I suspect that the captain involved was a little put out on the basis that others had done other things not terribly dissimilar without penalty

(e) the captain involved went on to an interesting career O/S post-89 and retired to Gippsland not all that long ago with an interest in occasional consulting work

Probably, apart from the observation that he might have done things differently had he possessed a crystal ball on the day, the incident is pretty well ancient history and not all that exciting in the overall scheme of things. I can recall a number of flights with other captains during my initial time in AN wherein far more "interesting" things were done ...

I guess, though, so long as folk don't go out of their way to identify the chap, the tale remains amongst the Mouse legends. I'm equally sure that he would just as soon the matter disappear into the aether and never again resurface ...

Not having seen him for some years, I ran into him a few months ago and we had a very pleasant hour or two over coffee reminiscing about this and that.