PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old ships - educate me please
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 21:45
Warmtoast

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Joint Exercises Trincomalee 1957 (JET '57)

In 1957 I was stationed at RAF China Bay, across the bay from the RN Base at Trincomalee (HMS Highflyer).

Each year the RN, Pakistan & Indian Navy held joint exercises in the Indian Ocean off Trinco together with aircraft from the RAF and Indian Navy. RAF participants in JET '57 were four Sunderlands from 205/209 Sqn detached to China Bay from Seletar. Short Sealands of the Indian Navy and Bristol Freighters of the Pakistani Air Force also participated in the exercise.

Two 205/209 Sqn RAF Sunderlands were dispatched to find and 'attack' the enemy during Joint Exercise Trincomalee '57. I was aboard one which was in formation with Sunderland 'N' RN282 as seen below.

We found and 'attacked' a couple of warships in the Indian Ocean seen here at anchor off the North-East coast of Ceylon (Sri Lanka). This view is from the Sunderland's front gun turret as we 'attacked'. In the foreground is Pakistan Navy ship 'Jhelum' (F-40) formerly 'Narbada' - a Bay or Loch Class Frigate of the Indian Navy allocated to Pakistan on Partition in 1947.

The warship in the background is Pakistan Navy ship "Khaibar" formerly RN Battle Class Destroyer HMS Cadiz. HMS Cadiz (D79) was transferred to the Pakistan Navy in 1956/7 as PNS Khaibar. Smoke can be seen coming from 'Khaibar's' anti-aircraft guns amidships as she fires blanks at us whilst 'Jhelum's' turrets are trained directly on the aircraft.

Last edited by Warmtoast; 8th Mar 2013 at 10:49.