PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NORWICH
Thread: NORWICH
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 17:52
Phil Space

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've sent an email to niknak to assure him it is nothing personal.

However I quote from the Eastern Daily Press....
It is understood that nine managers and one director at the airport have been or will be made redundant in the weeks ahead.
Why does a small airport like Norwich need in excess of nine managers?

The other question is that if they are not needed now why were they needed in the past and who paid for them?

I'll answer the last question...the punters using the airport.

Durham Tees airport is alo in a similar position,12 million in the red and sueing a major airline which pulled out. I'm sure that will attract new operators.

Norwich is an oil support airfield.The main traffic is offshore helicopters and KLM flights to Aberdeen and Amsterdam. KLM fares are extremely high compared to the likes of easyjet and Ryanair. The result is that the opportinity EGSH offers, a short close link to worldwide flights via Amsterdam,
is denied to anyone using the airport as it too expensive compared to Stansted just down the road.

With the decline in North Sea oil operations who knows what the future holds for Norwich. If the new MD wants to do something positive cheap flights to Schiphol would be a good idea but I suspect the main operator with a base at NWI would block that.

I'd use the airport again if it became attractive. It needs someone like Ryanair to do that and I cannot see KLM acepting that.

On a final note I am sure the owners are aware of the development value of the land should Nortn Sea operations ever move elsewhere.